Open Access in JAH
- Early marriage has multiple drivers including cultural and social norms alongside lack of educational and economic opportunities. This complexity may explain why few programs have demonstrated marriage delays and suggests multisectoral interventions are necessary. This study examined a 2-year multisectoral program designed to delay marriage in a marginalized setting.
- Adolescent mental health has been under-researched, particularly in Africa. COVID-19-related household economic stress and school closures will likely have adverse effects. We investigate the relationship among adolescent mental health, adult income loss, and household dynamics during the pandemic in Kenya.
- To improve testing coverage, it is imperative to determine adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) preferences about HIV testing modality and where they prefer receiving services.
- Street-connected youth (SCY) in Kenya and elsewhere in sub–Saharan Africa are at high risk of HIV. Voluntary Male Medical Circumcision (VMMC) reduces the risk of female-to-male HIV transmission. Circumcision is also a traditional coming-of-age process in many Kenyan ethnic groups. This paper describes the acceptability of VMMC delivered as part of a ten-day healing, educational, and ‘coming-of-age’ retreat implemented as a pilot with SCY.
- This qualitative study assesses the cross-cultural and intergenerational reactions of young adolescents and parents to puberty in Ile-Ife, Nigeria, and Nairobi, Kenya.
- This study sought to assess whether risky sexual behaviors and sexual exploitation of orphaned adolescents differed between family-based and institutional care environments in Uasin Gishu County, Kenya.
- Accurate and reliable data on the prevalence of adolescents' sexual behavior are paramount for effective sexual and reproductive health intervention. Adolescents' sexual behavior has been widely studied. However, scholars have raised concerns about the accuracy and reliability of self-reported sexual behavior by adolescents. Previous research shows high levels of adolescent sexual activity in urban informal settlements; yet, the accuracy of self-reported sexual experience in these settings is understudied.