Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics. Underlying cause of death 1999-2018 on CDC WONDER Online Database.(Available at:)https://wonder.cdc.gov/ucd-icd10.htmlDate: 2019Date accessed: March 1, 2020
- Racial and ethnic disparities in fatal unintentional drowning among persons less than 30years of age — United States, 1999–2010.J Saf Res. 2014; 50: 139-142
- Unintentional, non-fatal drowning of children: US trends and racial/ethnic disparities.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e008444
- Swimming pool drownings among US residents aged 5–24 Years: Understanding racial/ethnic disparities.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 728-733
- Interventions associated with drowning prevention in children and adolescents: Systematic literature review.Inj Prev. 2015; 21: 195-204
- Global report on drowning | preventing a leading killer.(Available at:)https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/143893/9789241564786_eng.pdfDate: 2014Date accessed: May 10, 2022
- Primary and secondary drowning interventions: The American Red Cross Circle of drowning prevention and chain of drowning survival.Int J Aquat Res Educ. 2015; 9: 8
- Studying outcome predictors of drowning at the scene: why do we have so few answers?.Am J Emerg Med. 2021; 46: 361-366
- Evaluation of a drowning prevention campaign in a Vietnamese American community.Int J Aquat Res Educ. 2020; 12: 4
- Healthy youth survey - background.(Available at:)https://www.doh.wa.gov/DataandStatisticalReports/DataSystems/HealthyYouthSurvey/BackgroundDate accessed: January 16, 2021
- Healthy Youth Survey Data Analysis & Technical Assistance Manual.(Available at:)https://www.askhys.net/Docs/Analysis Manual for 2018 12-5-19 final.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: May 17, 2022
- Urban minority youth swimming (in)ability in the United States and associated demographic characteristics: Toward a drowning prevention plan.Inj Prev. 2009; 15: 234-239
- Can you really swim? Validation of self and parental reports of swim skill with an inwater swim test among children attending community pools in Washington State.Inj Prev. 2016; 22: 253-260
- Guiding principles: applying water competence to drowning prevention.Int J Aquat Res Educ. 2018; 11: 22
- Guidelines for using rural-urban classification Systems for community health assessment.(Available at:)http://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1500/RUCAGuide.pdfDate: 2016Date accessed: September 15, 2017
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 15.Washington State Department of Health, Washington2019
- Identifying a gap in drowning prevention: high-risk populations.Inj Prev. 2020; 26: 279-288
- Exploring children’s participation in commercial swimming lessons through the social determinants of health.Health Promot J Austr. 2021; 32: 172-181
- The legacy of fear: is fear impacting fatal and non-fatal drowning of African American children?.J Black Stud. 2011; 42: 561-576
- From swimming skill to water competence: towards a more inclusive drowning prevention future.Int J Aquat Res Educ. 2017; 10: 3
Conflict of interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
Ethics Statements: The Washington State IRB has deemed this study exempt from review.