Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Ending child marriage: progress and prospects.The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), New York2014
Bangladesh Demographic and Health Survey 2014. Dhaka, Bangladesh, and Rockville, Maryland, USA: National Institute of Population Research and Training (NIPORT), Mitra and Associates, ICF International; 2015.
- Government of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh, Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs. Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division. The Child Marriage Restraint Act, 1929 .(Available at:)[Accessed November 31, 2017])
Girls Not Brides. Commitments to end child marriage. Available at: http://www.girlsnotbrides.org/child-marriage/bangladesh/2014/; 2014 [Aaccessed October 31, 2017].
- Early marriage as a risk factor for mistimed pregnancies.Asia Pac Popul J. 2015; 30: 7-34
- Marriage continuity and change in Bangladesh.in: Kaur R Palriwala R Marrying in South Asia: Shifting concepts, changing practices in a globalizing world. Orient BlackSwan, New Delhi2012: 89-115
Amin S, Mahmud S, Huq L. Kishori Abhijan: Baseline Survey report on rural adolescents in Bangladesh. Dhaka: Ministry of Women and Children Affairs, Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh; 2002.
Suran L, Amin S, Huq L, Chowdhury K. Does dowry improve life for brides? A test of the bequest theory of dowry in rural Bangladesh. Population council working paper no. 195. New York: Population Council; 2004.
Alston M, Whittenbury KL, Haynes AL, Godden NJ. Are climate challenges reinforcing child and forced marriage and dowry as adaptation strategies in the context of Bangladesh? Women's Stud Int Forum 2014; 47: 137–144. DOI: 10.1016/j.wsif.2014.08.005
- From evidence to action: Results from the 2013 Baseline Survey for the BALIKA Project.Population Council, New York2014
Gaag N V. In double jeopardy: Adolescent girls and disasters. Because I am a girl: The state of the World's Girls 2013 report series no.7. Vimercate MI, Italia: Plan International; 2013.
- A journey towards development: The impact of local NGO programmes on women living in the char lands of Bangladesh.Dev Pract. 2008; 18: 117-124https://doi.org/10.1080/09614520701778975
- Dancing with the river: People and life on the chars of South Asia.Yale University Press, New Heaven, London2013
Alvarado G, Skinner M, Plaut D, et al. A systematic review of positive youth development programs in low-and middle-income countries. Youth power learning report. Washington, DC: Making Cents International; 2017.
- Interventions to prevent child marriage among young people in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review of the published and gray literature.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 59: 16-21https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2016.06.015
- What works to prevent child marriage: A review of the evidence.Stud Fam Plan. 2012; 43: 287-303https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1728-4465.2012.00327.x
- Empowering adolescent girls in rural Bangladesh: Kishori Abhijan.(Available at:)[Accessed October 31, 2017])
- Do labor market opportunities affect young women's work and family decisions? Experimental evidence from India.Q J Econ. 2012; 127: 753-792
- Evaluation of Berhane Hewan: A program to delay marriage in rural Ethiopia.Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2009; 35: 6-14https://doi.org/10.1363/ifpp.35.006.09
The World Bank. Whispers to voices: Gender and social transformation in Bangladesh. Bangladesh development series paper no. 22. Washington DC: World Bank; 2008.
- Manufacturing growth and the lives of Bangladeshi women.J Dev Econ. 2015; 115: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2015.01.006
- Aspirations, poverty and economic change.in: Banerjee A Bènabou R Mookherjee D Understanding poverty. Oxford University Press, 2006https://doi.org/10.1093/0195305191.001.0001
- What is psychology worth? A field experiment in the consumer credit market .(Available at:)[Accessed September 10, 2017])
- Applied longitudinal data analysis: Modeling change and event occurrence.1st ed. Oxford University Press, New York2003
☆Conflict of interest: This study was funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of Netherlands in Dhaka. The study sponsor did not have any influence on study design, data collection, analysis, interpretation, manuscript preparation, or decision to submit for publication. The views expressed in this manuscript are solely the responsibility of the authors, and do not represent the views of the sponsor.