- •We searched Instagram using the Hashtag term #selfharmmm.
- •Nonsuicidal self-injury Hashtag terms were evaluated for meaning and consistency.
- •Non-suicidal self-injury Hashtag terms included #secretsociety123 and #blithe.
- •These terms were common, and meaning could be determined using triangulation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Understanding nonsuicidal self-injury: Origins, assessment and treatment.in: Nock M. Nonsuicidal Self-Injury: Definition and Classification. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2009: 9-18
- The virtual cutting edge: The Internet and adolescent self-injury.Dev Psychol. 2006; 42: 407-417
- Rates of nonsuicidal self-injury in youth: Age, sex, and behavioral methods in a community sample.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: 39-45
- Prevalence of nonsuicidal self-injury in nonclinical samples: Systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2014; 44: 273-303
- The cutting edge: Non-suicidal self-injury in adolescence.Developmental Psychology. 2009; 42: 407-417
- Self-injury.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2010; 6: 339-363
- The relation between childhood maltreatment and self-injury: A review of the literature on conceptualization and intervention.Trauma Violence Abuse. 2011; 12: 23-37
- Non-suicidal self-injury among adolescents: Diagnostic correlates and relation to suicide attempts.Psychiatry Res. 2006; 144: 65-72
- The developmental psychopathology of self-injurious behavior: Compensatory regulation in posttraumatic adaptation.Clin Psychol Rev. 2004; 24: 35-74
- Helpful or harmful? An examination of viewers' responses to nonsuicidal self-injury videos on YouTube.J Adolesc Health. 2012; 51: 380-385
- The scope of nonsuicidal self-injury on YouTube.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e552-557
- On the creative edge: Exploring motivations for creating non-suicidal self-injury content online.Qual Health Res. 2015; 25: 1334-1346
- The Facebook influence model: A concept mapping approach.Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2013; 16: 504-511
Simmons R. The secret language of girls on Instagram. 2014. Available at: http://time.com/3559340/instagram-tween-girls/. Accessed on October 26, 2015.
- Instagram's pro anorexia controversy.HelloGiggles, 2013 (Available at http://hellogiggles.com/instagrams-pro-anorexia-controversy/. Accessed on October 26, 2015.)
- Social media update 2013.Pew Research Center, 2013 (Available at http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/30/social-media-update-2013/. Accessed on October 26, 2015.)
Guimaraes T. Revealed: The demographic trends for every social network. 2014 [cited 2014 Nov 14]. Available at: http://www.businessinsider.com/2014-social-media-demographics-update-2014-9. Accessed on May 1, 2015.
Instagram. Instagram's new guidelines against self-harm images. 2014 [cited 2014 Nov 14]. Available at: http://blog.instagram.com/post/21454597658/instagrams-new-guidelines-against-self-harm-images. Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Teen hashtags: What every parent ought to know.Consumer and family safety: McAfee, 2014 (Available at: https://blogs.mcafee.com/consumer/teen-hashtags-every-parent-know/. Accessed on October 26, 2015.)
- Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five traditions.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA1998
- The discovery of grounded theory: Strategies for qualitative research.Aldine Transaction, Hawthorne, NY1967
- Becoming qualitative researchers.2nd edition. Longman, Reading, MA1999
- Feeling bad on Facebook: Depression disclosures by college students on a social networking site.Depress Anxiety. 2011; 28: 447-455
- Prevalence of stress references on college freshmen Facebook profiles.Comput Inform Nurs. 2011; 29: 586-592
- Religion and sex among college freshmen: A longitudinal study using Facebook.J Adolesc Res. 2012; 28: 535-556
- Disordered eating in a digital age: Eating behaviors, health, and quality of life in users of websites with pro-eating disorder content.J Med Internet Res. 2012; 14: e148
- Surfing for thinness: A pilot study of pro-eating disorder web site usage in adolescents with eating disorders.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 1635-1643
- Display of health risk behaviors on MySpace by adolescents: Prevalence and associations.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 35-41
- A content analysis of displayed alcohol references on a social networking web site.J Adolesc Health. 2010; 47: 168-175
- Alcohol references on undergraduate males' Facebook profiles.Am J Mens Health. 2011; 5: 413-420
- “Hey everyone, i'm drunk.” An evaluation of drinking-related Twitter chatter.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2015; 76: 635-643
- Twitter chatter about marijuana.J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56: 139-145
- Personal information of adolescents on the Internet: A quantitative content analysis of MySpace.J Adolesc. 2008; 31: 125-146
- Development of a researcher codebook for use in evaluating social networking site profiles.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 49: 29-35
- Evaluating displayed depression symptoms on social media sites.Social Networking J. 2013; 2: 185-192
- Qualitative evaluation and research methods approaches.2nd edition. Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2003
- Naturalist inquiry.Sage, Beverly Hills, CA1985
- Teens, social media & technology overview 2015.Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2015 (Available at: http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/04/09/teens-social-media-technology-2015/. Accessed on October 26, 2015.)
- Social media update 2014.Pew Internet and American Life Project, Washington, DC2014
- Sex, drugs 'n Facebook.Hunter House, Alameda, CA2013
- Facebook aims to help prevent suicide.USA Today, 2011 (Available at: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2011-12-13/facebook-suicide-prevention/51867032/1. Accessed on October 26, 2015.)
Conflict of Interest: No authors have conflicts of interest to report.