State and County QuickFacts.
National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS): 2009. Data on substance abuse treatment facilities. DASIS Series: S-54.
Adolescent Brain Development Is Strongly Linked to Substance Use Risk
Cultural Factors Drive Adolescent Substance Use
- Rideout V.J.
- Foehr U.G.
- Roberts D.F.
Young alcohol users often get alcohol from family or home [Internet]. 2011 [cited April 13, 2011].
Individual Challenges Heighten the Risk of Substance Use and Addiction
Costly Health and Social Consequences of Risky Substance Use
Cancer facts and figures 2009 [Internet]. 2009 [cited May 11, 2011].
Diabetes cost calculator [Internet]. 2009 [cited May 25, 2011].
Integrating Substance Use Prevention/Intervention and Addiction Treatment Into Health Care Practice
Recognize addiction as a disease with origins in adolescence
Identify the problem and intervene early
- Knudsen H.K.
Assessing alcohol problems: A guide for clinicians and researchers: Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test (MAST).
Assessing alcohol problems: A guide for clinicians and researchers: Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT).
Expand the number of providers trained to effectively prevent, screen, diagnose, and treat adolescent substance use and addiction
Increase access to effective prevention and treatment services for adolescents
State policy report #34: Health center reimbursement for behavioral health services in Medicaid [Internet].
New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- •Expansion of Medicaid eligibility and an increase in the number of insured persons;
- •Mandatory prevention services for adolescents, including alcohol and other drug use assessments and depression screening, without a co-payment;
- •Mandatory benefits for addiction treatment in new exchange and Medicaid plans;
- •Limitations on cost-sharing requirements for patients in new exchange and Medicaid plans;
- •Focus on integrating care through medical homes;
- •Increased federal funding for qualified health centers; and
- •Application of the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 to most group health plans and all Children's Health Insurance Program state plans [].
Expand research on effective prevention and treatment services
- State and County QuickFacts.([cited April 19, 2011])
- The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse (CASA) at Columbia University.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Atlanta, GA2011
- CASA analysis of the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), 2009 [data file].U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2011
- Adolescent substance use: America's #1 public health problem.in: CASA, New York2011: 406
- Young adults at risk for excess alcohol consumption are often not asked or counseled about drinking alcohol.J Gen Intern Med. 2012; 27: 179-184
- Prevalence of positive substance abuse screen results among adolescent primary care patients.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; 161: 1035-1041
- Screening and counseling for adolescent alcohol use among primary care physicians in the United States.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: 114-122
- The quality of highly regarded adolescent substance abuse treatment programs: Results of an in-depth national survey.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 904-909
- National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services (N-SSATS): 2009. Data on substance abuse treatment facilities. DASIS Series: S-54.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies, Rockville, MD2010
- Drug addiction as a brain disorder or disease [reply].JAMA. 2009; 301: 1881-1882
- Neurobiology of addiction: Treatment and public policy ramifications.Nat Neurosci. 2005; 8: 1431-1440
- The neuroscience of addiction.Nat Neurosci. 2005; 8: 1429-1430
- Adolescent risky decision-making: Neurocognitive development of reward and control regions.Neuroimage. 2010; 51: 345-355
- Adolescent brain development: A period of vulnerabilities and opportunities.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004; 1021: 1-22
- Parental monitoring and peer influences on adolescent substance use.Pediatrics. 1994; 93: 1060-1072
- Developmental neurocircuitry of motivation in adolescence: A critical period of addiction vulnerability.Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1041-1052
- Adolescent cortical development: A critical period of vulnerability for addiction.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2007; 86: 189-199
- Adolescence as a critical window for developing an alcohol use disorder: Current findings in neuroscience.Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2010; 23: 227-232
- Initiating moderate to heavy alcohol use predicts changes in neuropsychological functioning for adolescent girls and boys.Psychol Addict Behav. 2009; 23: 715-722
- Adolescent substance abuse: The effects of alcohol and marijuana on neuropsychological performance.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001; 35: 39-46
- Age at onset of alcohol use and its association with DSM-IV alcohol abuse and dependence: Results from the National Longitudinal Alcohol Epidemiologic Survey.J Subst Abuse. 1997; 9: 103-110
- Age of onset of drug use and its association with DSM-IV drug abuse and dependence: Results from the National Longitudinal Alcohol Epidemiologic Survey.J Subst Abuse. 1998; 10: 163-173
- Age dependent nicotinic influences over dopamine neuron synaptic plasticity.Biochem Pharmacol. 2009; 78: 686-692
- Adolescent alcohol use is a risk factor for adult alcohol and drug dependence: Evidence from a twin design.Psychol Med. 2006; 36: 109-118
- Genetically informative research on adolescent substance use: Methods, findings, and challenges.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 1202-1214
- Pharmacogenetics: A tool for identifying genetic factors in drug dependence and response to treatment.Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2010; 5: 17-29
- Multiple trajectories of peer and parental influence and their association with the development of adolescent heavy drinking.Addict Behav. 2009; 34: 693-700
- Results from the 2008 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: National findings.Office of Applied Studies, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2009
- National survey of American attitudes on substance abuse XIV: Teens and parents.in: CASA Columbia, New York2009: 67
- CASA analysis of CASA's national survey of high school students, parents of high school students, and high school personnel XVI [data file].CASA Columbia, New York2011
- The impact of parental modeling and permissibility on alcohol use and experienced negative drinking consequences in college.Addict Behav. 2009; 34: 542-547
- Can parents prevent heavy episodic drinking by allowing teens to drink at home?.Addict Behav. 2010; 35: 1105-1112
- Parent-child communication about adolescent tobacco and alcohol use: What do parents say and does it affect youth behavior?.J Marriage Fam. 2001; 63: 48-62
- The formative years: Pathways to substance abuse among girls and young women ages 8-22.in: CASA Columbia, New York2003: 229
- Parental substance use as a modifier of adolescent substance use risk.Addiction. 2002; 97: 1537-1550
- Trajectories of change in adolescent substance use and symptomatology: Impact of paternal and maternal substance use disorders.Psychol Addict Behav. 2007; 21: 35-43
- Generation M: Media in the lives of 8-18 year-olds. 2010 [cited March 22, 2011].
- Smoking in the movies increases adolescent smoking: A review.Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 1516-1528
- Television viewing and initiation of smoking among youth.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 505-508
- Adolescent smoking and volume of exposure to various forms of media.Public Health. 2008; 122: 379-389
- Alcohol use in motion pictures and its relation with early-onset teen drinking.J Stud Alcohol. 2006; 67: 54-65
- Television and music video exposure and adolescent alcohol use while going out.Alcohol Alcohol. 2005; 40: 249-253
- Media exposure and marijuana and alcohol use among adolescents.Subst Use Misuse. 2009; 44: 722-739
- National survey of American attitudes on substance abuse XV: Teens and parents.CASA Columbia, New York2010
- High society: How substance abuse ravages America and what to do about it.1st edition. Public Affairs, New York2007
- Impact of alcohol advertising and media exposure on adolescent alcohol use: A systematic review of longitudinal studies.Alcohol Alcohol. 2009; 44: 229-243
- Cigarette advertising and teen smoking initiation.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e271-e278
- The effect of alcohol advertising, marketing and portrayal on drinking behavior in young people: Systematic review of prospective cohort studies.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 51
- The extent to which tobacco marketing and tobacco use in films contribute to children's use of tobacco: A meta-analysis.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006; 160: 1285-1296
- Under the counter: the diversion and abuse of controlled prescription drugs in the United States.in: CASA Columbia, New York2005: 214
- National survey results on drug use from the Monitoring the Future Study, 1975-2009.National Institute on Drug Abuse, Rockville, MD2010
- Young alcohol users often get alcohol from family or home [Internet]. 2011 [cited April 13, 2011].
- Patterns of alcohol and drug use in adolescents can be predicted by parental substance use disorders.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 792-797
- Childhood abuse, neglect, and household dysfunction and the risk of illicit drug use: The adverse childhood experiences study.Pediatrics. 2003; 111: 564-572
- Prevalence and comorbidity of major internalizing and externalizing problems among adolescents and adults presenting to substance abuse treatment.J Subst Abuse Treat. 2008; 34: 14-24
- Childhood externalizing and internalizing psychopathology in the prediction of early substance use.Addiction. 2004; 99: 1548-1559
- Cigarette smoking and psychiatric comorbidity in children and adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002; 41: 1294-1305
- Social anxiety, negative affectivity, and substance use among high school students.Psychol Addict Behav. 2003; 17: 277-283
- Temperament and adolescent substance use: An epigenetic approach to risk and protection.J Pers. 2000; 68: 1127-1151
- Adolescent temperament and lifetime psychiatric and substance abuse disorders assessed in young adulthood.Pers Indiv Differ. 2006; 41: 15-25
- Area specific self-esteem, values, and adolescent substance use.J Drug Educ. 2008; 38: 389-403
- Self-derogation, peer factors, and drug dependence among a multiethnic sample of young adults.J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2005; 15: 39-51
- The relative importance of online victimization in understanding depression, delinquency, and substance use.Child Maltreat. 2007; 12: 314-324
- Childhood bullying behaviors at age eight and substance use at age 18 among males: A nationwide prospective study.Addict Behav. 2011; 36: 256-260
- Sexual orientation and tobacco use in a cohort study of US adolescent girls and boys.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 317-322
- Individual trajectories of substance use in lesbian, gay and bisexual youth and heterosexual youth.Addiction. 2009; 104: 974-981
- Adolescent same-sex romantic attractions and relationships: Implications for substance use and abuse.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 198-202
- Good things come in threes: Single-parent multigenerational family structure and adolescent adjustment.Demography. 2002; 39: 393-413
- Understanding early-onset drug and alcohol outcomes among youth: The role of family structure, social factors, and interpersonal perceptions of use.Psychol Health Med. 2011; 16: 249-267
- Schneider Institute for Health Policy, Brandeis University.Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton, NJ2001
- Cancer facts and figures 2009 [Internet]. 2009 [cited May 11, 2011].
- Diabetes cost calculator [Internet]. 2009 [cited May 25, 2011].
- Incidence and lifetime costs of injuries in the United States.Inj Prev. 2006; 12: 212-218
- Assessing the economic costs of serious mental illness.Am J Psychiatry. 2008; 165: 663-665
- Heart disease and stroke statistics–2009 update: A report from the American Heart Association Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee.Circulation. 2009; 119: e1-e161
- Drugs and alcohol: Treating and preventing abuse, addiction and their medical consequences.Pharmacol Ther. 2005; 108: 3-17
- Problems and costs associated with underage drinking in the United States [Internet].(2009 [cited April 20, 2011])
- Shoveling up II: The impact of substance abuse on federal, state and local budgets.in: CASA Columbia, New York2009: 165
- Barriers to treating alcohol and drug problems among adolescents knowledge asset [Internet].(2009 [cited March 13, 2011])
- Guidelines for adolescent preventive services (GAPS).in: The Association, Chicago1997: 8
- Tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs: The role of the pediatrician in prevention, identification, and management of substance abuse.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: 816-821
- Alcohol use by youth and adolescents: A pediatric concern [policy statement].Pediatrics. 2010; 125: 1078-1087
- Providing alcohol-related screening and brief interventions to adolescents through health care systems: Obstacles and solutions.PLoS Med. 2010; 7: e1000214
- Recent trends in adolescent substance use, primary care screening, and updates in treatment options.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2006; 18: 352-358
- Screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for adolescents.J Addict Med. 2008; 2: 215-221
- Assessing alcohol problems: A guide for clinicians and researchers: Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test (MAST).in: Allen J.P. Wilson V.B. Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers. 2nd edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD2003: 452-453
- Assessing alcohol problems: A guide for clinicians and researchers: Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT).in: Allen J.P. Wilson V.B. Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers. 2nd edition. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda, MD2003: 311-313
- Toward a theory of motivational interviewing.Am Psychol. 2009; 64: 527-537
- A randomized clinical trial of a brief motivational intervention for alcohol-positive adolescents treated in an emergency department.J Pediatr. 2004; 145: 396-402
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of brief interventions with substance using adolescents by type of drug.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2003; 22: 337-346
- Effects of a brief intervention for reducing violence and alcohol misuse among adolescents: A randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2010; 304: 527-535
- Brief intervention for drug-abusing adolescents in a school setting.Psychol Addict Behav. 2007; 21: 249-254
- The “six T's”: Barriers to screening teens for substance abuse in primary care.J Adolesc Health. 2007; 40: 456-461
- Provider self-efficacy and the screening of adolescents for risky health behaviors.J Adolesc Health. 2004; 35: 101-107
- Medicine adds slots for study of addictions.New York Times, 2011 (A11)
- State policy report #34: Health center reimbursement for behavioral health services in Medicaid [Internet].(2010 [cited March 15, 2011])
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- The looming expansion and transformation of public substance abuse treatment under the Affordable Care Act.Health Aff. 2011; 30: 1402-1410