- •Transgender youth represent a vulnerable population at risk for negative mental health outcomes including depression, anxiety, self-harm, and suicidality.
- •Limited mental health data are available in this patient population from community-based clinic settings, including comparative data that examine disparities in mental health outcomes.
- •Transgender patients have disparately negative mental health outcomes compared with their nontransgender counterparts, with equally high burden for female-to-male and male-to-female youth.
- •Clinicians serving transgender youth should screen for mental health concerns.
- •Collecting gender-inclusive measures in electronic health records is recommended, including assigned sex at birth and current gender identity at patient registration.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The health of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people: Building a foundation for better understanding.Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC2011
- Gender identity: A multidimensional analysis with implications for psychosocial adjustment.Dev Psychol. Jul 2001; 37: 451-463
- Transgender youth: Invisible and vulnerable.J Homosex. 2006; 51: 111-128
- Management of the transgender adolescent.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 171-176
- Sex and gender in the US health surveillance system: A call to action.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 970-976
- Transgender youth and life-threatening behaviors.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007; 37: 527-537
- Parental support and mental health among transgender adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 53: 791-793
- The 2011 National School Climate Survey: The experiences of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth in our nation’s schools.GLSEN, New York, NY2012
- Overlooked, misunderstood and at-risk: Exploring the lives and HIV risk of ethnic minority male-to-female transgender youth.J Adolesc Health. 2006; 38: 230-236
- Mental health disorders, psychological distress, and suicidality in a diverse sample of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youths.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 2426-2432
- Internal and external stress factors associated with the identity development of transgender youth.in: Mallon G. Social services with transgender youth. Harrington Park Press, New York, NY1999: 35-47
- Sexual orientation and gender identity data collection in clinical settings and in electronic health records: A key to ending LGBT health disparities.LGBT Health. 2014; 1: 34-41
- Electronic medical records and the transgender patient: Recommendations from the World Professional Association for Transgender Health EMR Working Group.J Am Inform Assoc. 2013; 20: 700-703
- Psychological evaluation and medical treatment of transgender youth in an interdisciplinary “Gender Management Service” (GeMS) in a major pediatric center.J Homosex. 2012; 59: 321-336
- Children and adolescents with gender identity disorder referred to a pediatric medical center.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 418-425
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (fourth edition, text revision) (DSM-IV-TR).American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC2000
- The gender affirmative model: What we know and what we aim to learn.Hum Dev. 2013; 56: 285-290
- Mental health disparities research: The impact of within and between group analyses on tests of social stress hypotheses.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 70: 1111-1118
- The role of community health centers in providing preventive care to adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996; 150: 603-608
- Community health centers in an era of health reform: An overview of key challenges to health center growth.Kaiser Family Foundation, Washington, DC2013
- Matched sampling for causal inference.Cambridge University Press, New York, NY2006
- Chapter 7: Logistic regression for matched case-control studies. Applied logistic regression.2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Danversa, MA2004: 223-259
- Easy SAS calculations for risk or prevalence ratios and differences.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 162: 199-200
- Physiological correlates of anxiety in children with gender identity disorder.Eur child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007; 16: 309-315
- Gender-nonconforming lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth: School victimization and young adult psychosocial adjustment.Dev Psychol. 2010; 46: 1580-1589
- Suicidal ideation and self-harm in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youth.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 221-228
- Retrospective studies and chart reviews.Respir Care. 2004; 49: 1171-1174
- A conceptual framework for clinical work with transgender and gender nonconforming clients: An adaptation of the Minority Stress Model.Prof Psychol Res Pr. 2012; 43: 460-467
- Gender minority social stress in adolescence: Disparities in adolescent bullying and substance use by gender identity.J Sex Res. 2014; : 1-14
- Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, fifth edition (DSM-5).American Psychiatric Association, Arlington, VA2013
- Psychotherapy and the real life experience: From gender dichotomy to gender diversity.Sexologies. 2008; 17: 211-224
- Exploring the diversity of gender and sexual orientation identities in an online sample of transgender individuals.J Sex Res. 2012; 49: 244-254
- Sex/gender: Biology in a social world.Routledge, New York, NY2012
- Health disparities and health equity: Concepts and measurement.Annu Rev Public Health. 2006; 27: 167-194
- Health disparities.2010 (Available at:)Accessed March 5, 2014)
- Patient-reported outcomes in child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS): Use of idiographic and standardized measures.J Ment Health. 2012; 21: 165-173
- Standards for patient-reported outcome-based performance measures.JAMA. 2013; 310: 139-140
- Guidelines for Adolescent Depression in Primary Care (GLAD-PC): II. Treatment and ongoing management.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: e1313-1326
- Guidelines for Adolescent Depression in Primary Care (GLAD-PC): I. Identification, assessment, and initial management.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: e1299-1312
- Practice parameter on gay, lesbian, or bisexual sexual orientation, gender nonconformity, and gender discordance in children and adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. Sep 2012; 51: 957-974
Conflicts of Interest: S.L.R. and M.J.M. are partly supported by NIMH R01 MH094323-01A1 . D.S. is supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development , 1T32HD075727-01 . The authors have no conflicts of interest or financial relationships to disclose.